27 July, 2006

Futon

First of all, Sr. Moreno thank you for your comment (July 26). I’ll try to keep on writing stuff that you’ll find interesting, hopefully. Thank you!
I had a look at
your blog ... but I’m sorry to tell you that I don’t really understand the Spanish part. Still, I think it’s interesting and nice-looking, too. I like your illustration and how you display photos. And of course, the fashion part interests me a lot.

The weather today is like a bridge connecting yesterday’s sun and tomorrow’s rain. It’s not raining and it’s not sunny, but it is sunny for seconds sometimes, but looks like it’s going to rain at any time. I should have hung my futon outside yesterday... bummer.
Oh, there’s this story about futon. Many Japanese sleep on futon... of course a lot of us sleep on beds as well. Anyway, this friend of mine working at a furniture shop tells me that futon isn’t any good cuz it takes in air right above the floor containing a lot of dust, and also b/c there’s no mattress underneath, it gives your body a tough hard sleep overnight. How is it in reality? In my case, I placed my futon on top of a sofa-bed (which is a bed now) and I suppose a lot of you reading this sleep on beds right?

Yet I believe futon has its own merits.
When I was a kind, my brother and I slept on beds but my parents slept on futon. My house wasn’t a big one so they took out futon at nights to sleep and put them back in the closet in the morning. That gave a lot of space we could make use of during the day, and I think that’s how and why we have had futon for centuries.

Although, I kind of noticed that, from watching movies and TV shows from the West, some people sort of live on beds like reading books, watching TV, talk on the phone and eat sometimes.
Doing the same on futon is called “mannen-doko” (never-made beds) and is a symbol of laziness giving rather negative impression on people who see them.
Hey, wait a sec. Mine’s kind of a mannen-doko now...

Alright, I’ll hang my futon next time we have sun, and I’ll sit on my sofa for the first time in months!
End of cloudy-day report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! This is my first comment here so I
just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the
same topics? Appreciate it!

my homepage :: rent-a-serp theme