07 November, 2006

Working Poor 1

Before I start, let me apologize my rough explanations for I’m trying to make this concise as I can (I don’t want to be pulling the topic forever).

The reason for feeling this issue so personal – one of them is the problems arising in suburbs and the countryside towns.

Actually, I think that there are two kinds to this problem making it sophisticated.
Firstly, the problem of underpopulation in countryside regions... which is not a new thing. Each year more serious than the previous, the younger generation which is unneeded to say the precious labor force drifts away to seek their dream lives in large cities like Tokyo. As much as they are needed labor force, they are precious consumers. Thus the drift and consequently the aging of the population in the countryside regions create a vicious cycle of low production and low consumption.

The other one is the emergence of large shopping malls and wholesale stores. When the huge boom of shopping malls and department stores hit the Japanese society, it crushed down the local shopping communities practically to death. More and more people were attracted to larger malls for their convenience (even clinics and hospitals are incorporated in the latest ones) and stopped shopping at their local shops.

Regarding this aspect, I’d like to talk a bit about my family, but that’s for tomorrow.

No comments: